EDC, Inc. is a professional corporation that has been registered in the State of Alaska in the fields of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering since 1994. The firm has been providing all aspects of engineering services for a wide variety of governmental, commercial and private concerns throughout the State of Alaska since that time. The firm is owned by four principals: John Faschan, P.E., Kevin L. Hansen, P.E., Ernie Hetrick, P.E., and John Pepe, P.E.
EDC, Inc. was first established as an electrical engineering firm under the name Longstaff Engineers in Anchorage in 1980. After ownership changes, the company became known as Longstaff/McDonald in 1992. In 1994, both John Faschan and Kevin Hansen became owners along with William McDonald. Kevin brought the ability to provide mechanical engineering services to the company at that time. 1994 is also when EDC, Inc. was established under its current name.
In 1999, William McDonald’s interests in the company were purchased when he re-located to Vermont. He still maintains close ties with the company.
EDC expanded during the 2007-2008 period to add two more owners. Ernie Hetrick, previously employed with us as a mechanical engineer, returned to the company as an owner in 2007. John Pepe came on board in mid-2008 to bolster EDC’s electrical engineering capabilities.
The company is located on a 1939 homestead with two cozy cabins in the ‘woods’ at 213 West Fireweed Lane in midtown Anchorage. The current owners, Lynda and Dr. Michael James bought the homestead in 1979 after having rented it for their medical practice for six years. The cabins create a unique office environment and represent a little slice of Alaskana. The cabins were originally built as a homestead by John & Nancy Miller (pictured above) in 1939. Retired Anchorage engineer, Jim Clinton (pictured at left), was adopted by the Millers and helped build the cabins. Located in the ‘wilds’ of Anchorage, hauling water from Chester Creek was not an uncommon chore. Since the time they were built, the cabins survived the 1964 earthquake and the transformations from a home to a doctor’s office, a nail salon, a fisheries broker, a dentist’s office, and currently EDC’s engineering practice.